Thursday, November 11, 2010

Yellow, Bright, and Lovely

Source: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/files/2009/08/the-kiss.jpg

This is "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt. It is one of my all time favorite pieces of art. It is fantastic, expressive, and luminous. The use of gold serves to heighten and intensify the intimacy of the two figures.

A friend recently pushed me to make something in silver. He said, "Everybody loves silver." That may be so, but, I love gold. Gold inspires me more than silver ever could. He pushes because he believes that silver is more lucrative, especially, if and when I decide to share my pieces. But profitability is not why I create. I do this because I love making beautiful things. Maybe one day I may craft something out of that cold, white-gray metal, but only when the mood strikes and the time is right. For now I will stick to my favorite materials--yellow, bright, and lovely.

Gold has character. Gold is rich. Gold is warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment