Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fancy Things

I have gone through many "hobby phases" in my life. No matter my educational or professional goals, there has and always will be a need to express my creativity. A constant need to make things with my hands.

Drawing was my first love. At my Aunts' house in California, there are bits and pieces of the evolution of my paper and pencil skills. It starts with stick figures of so-called princesses with stringy hair, spiky crowns, and triangle ball-gowns. Then figures take more shape. The sticks are filled out and have more "meat" to them. The faces have noses and lips. The hair is no longer stringy but thick and full-bodied. There are t-shirts and pants instead of triangles. Now drawing is just an after-thought. In class, I sketch portraits of my professors. I include their movements, expressions, and imperfections. There is shading. There is depth. But these black and white photographs are just doodles in my day planner.

Knitting was the new thing. As a kid, I watched cartoon characters knit sweaters and hats at the speed of light. It always fascinated me. The ability to create a fabric and to wear the fabric was so appealing. So the summer right before my freshman year of high school, I went to Jo-Ann's, bought my first pair of needles, selected two balls of acrylic yarn (red and black), and purled a scarf to my heart's content. It was heaven. Then things got complicated. I could only make so many scarves. Plus the actual scarves took too long. I tried to make other things (hats, finger-less gloves, shrugs, sweaters) but everything else was too complicated. Cabling was messy. Following patterns, counting stitches, and blocking and finishing took too long. I was always too impatient. Now there are unfinished pieces still clinging to needles in my closet, there are untouched packages of yarn, and I have 10-or so purple hats that I do not need and will never wear.

Cooking and baking (C&B) are oldies and goodies. C&B are my companions. My gal pals. My buds. Sure we have disagreements and tiffs every now and then, but they will never leave me and always have something new up their sleeves. Endless entertainment. Endless possibilities. It started with making an omelet. With cheese. My younger cousin taught me how. I learned how to cut up vegetables. I learned how to boil water. I learned how to beat eggs. I learned how to use an oven. I learned how to use a stove. Now making French baguettes the old fashioned way (without a bread maker!) is no problem. My Beef Carbonnade brings all the boys to the yard. My Boca Negra makes me want to brush my shoulders off.

Jewelry making is the latest trend. I love jewelry. I love unique jewelry. I love unique, expensive, jewelry. But I have no money. Plus I do not feel like spending dollars on plastic necklaces no matter how fancy they may be. So I decided to make my own jewelry. From scratch with real materials. Real metals. Real stones. I like my jewelry big, bold, and expressive. There is a lot of gold, a lot of sparkle, a lot of edge. It is much less expensive and much more satisfying. Each piece is different. One-of-a-kind. People are starting to ask me to make something for them. Even, maybe, to start selling them. One day there might be a BPB&LBB shop but that is not a priority right now. So, sorry guys, personal consumption for now. Sharing later.

No comments:

Post a Comment